Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Spanish Parmesan Cheese

The thistle oil, garlic & chilli

thistles I have always been a sad one. Vilified by all, cooked in a gratin drowned by the sauce and nutmeg, as if to clear the taste. Poor things.

I had never cooked, but then, with the usual box of organic, I have found quite a few in the fridge. Roll up our sleeves. I was going to make them exactly as tradition winter gratin wants. But then I tasted them and I read it I thought. I think they taste very similar to the artichoke, Jerusalem artichoke very nearly, a neighbor of celery, delicate aftertaste. In short, the thistles have a character all their own, so I fried them.

Clean thistles by cutting the leaves to remove the green part then pull the threads as you would for celery or fennel. Delete if there are thorns and wet them just like artichokes with lemon blacken otherwise.

boil in abbondante acqua leggermente salata e acidulata con il succo di mezzo limone per almeno un'oretta. Quando sembreranno morbidi scolarli e farli saltare in padella con olio evo, un peperoncino e uno spicchio d'aglio.

Ah, dimenticavo, dato che...ogni erba che viene su ha sempre le sue virtù, i cardi sono ricchi di calcio, potassio e sodio.

0 comments:

Post a Comment